Monday, May 14, 2007

Haagen Dazs and Lumbar Degeneration



Just got back to my hotel from my appointment at the Spine Center of the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston MA. The news was so good I decided to have a treat before lunch. I bought an ice cream bar, chocolate and dark chocolate. It is an 'all natural ice cream bar'. I think that is important. I never had much of a passion for 'unnatural' ice cream. The printing on the box says, "chocolate ice cream dipped in, then drizzled with fine dark chocolate." It was every bit as good as advertised. Haagen Dazs uses Belgian Chocolate too. I like Belgian Chocolate whenever I can find it. I prefer it as well for political reasons to the Swiss varieties, as the Belgian people did fight against the Nazis in WWII rather than collaborating with Hitler and laundering their murderous Fascist larceny.

Lest I get too far a field, I should return to why I am celebrating. In addition to arthritis, degenerating discs between L-3, 4, and 5 there is some evidence of stenosis. I had MRI's done 8 years ago and then again early this month. The Spine Center at this hospital is doing world-class work with backs and the good news is I qualify for their program called 'Boot Camp for Backs'. With a disciplined exercise regimen and guidance I can expect to have the level of pain significantly reduced, enjoy more activity and maybe resume some things I used to do such as back packing and hiking. The doc told me it would be fine to hunt more too. It seems counterintuitive but the more sedentary life style, to protect one's remaining back resource, leads to escalation of pain. Exercise and therapy will strengthen the back muscles and reprogram the nerves in the area to send fewer pain messages to the brain. 20 to 25% of their patients report freedom from pain after their 'boot camp'. 40 to 50% report significantly reduced pain and 20 to 25% have some improvement but still in pain.

It is a beautiful day in Boston. It is 70 degrees here and I am going for a walk to celebrate the good news.

3 comments:

Alice said...

That's great news! So now that you qualify, what happens next?

George said...

I keep doing exercises, stretching and strengthening for the rest of my life which is a great alternative to chronic lower back pain.

limes said...

Yay! Sounds like a really cool program!