The aromas coming from the kitchen are not like any other time of the year. I counted some 20 pies on the table, refrigerator, counter, and in the garage. Orange rolls are underway. I have a turkey smoking outside. Later we are off to Alice's for the dinner with our contribution.
What is it that I can be most grateful for this Thanksgiving? First of all it is my family. Having a brother return to Centerville and become part of my life has been a special thing. Being three years older his memory of times gone by is better than mine. I was often too young to be included in some activities. We discuss from time to time our parents and how good things were in living life at 460 North Main in Centerville and in our extended family. I am forever grateful for the 'goodly parents' who made life so full of joy and happiness. Yesterday we went fishing with nephew Howard and we all caught fish. We have two large cutthroats to grill tomorrow.
I am grateful for my family of the present and future, and do more so as I get along in years. The joy of grandsons brings back fond memories of the activities we had as a young family at 498 North Main Street.
Life is filled with loss and that brings a poignancy to nearly everything. We spoke with our friend Kelly and he is not doing well. We will visit him in Washington in a couple weeks. His condition is that described by a contemporary of Joseph Smith, a religious philosopher, named Soren Kierkegaard. Unfortunately for Professor Kierkegaard he never knew Joseph or the revolutionary notions of his infant but transcendent theology. First a summary from Kierkegaard on the human condition and the pain of the uncertainty. Man is "a trembling animal at the mercy of the entire cosmos and the problem of the meaning of it." Now the certainty of Joseph Smith, "What is the object of our coming into existence, then dying and falling away to become no more?...This is a subject we ought to study more than any other. We ought to study it day and night...If we have any claim on our Heavenly Father it is for knowledge on this important subject." And he also observed, "Happiness is the object and end design of our existence."
Oh that I were an angel and could relieve in some way the pain of my friend Kelly and share somehow the assurance of continuation of life and the plan of happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment