
From Save the Children I read that 4 million die in the first month of life. The leading causes of infant mortality are dehydration and disease. Major causes of infant mortality in more developed countries include congenital malformation, infection and SIDS. The most common cause of infant mortality of all children around the world has traditionally been dehydration from diarrhea. Because of the success of spreading information about Oral Rehydration Solution (a mixture of salts, sugar and water) to mothers around the world, the rate of children dying from dehydration has been decreasing and has become the second most common cause in the late 1990s. Currently the most common cause is pneumonia. Infanticide, abuse, abandonment, and neglect may also contribute to infant mortality.
In South Asia mothers often have no help in delivering other than a family member who is not trained in any way. The mothers give birth in the dirtiest part of the hut and the baby when it is delivered is laid on the dirt floor. Mothers are not allowed to nurse for the first week due to fears of evil spirits.
I am making progress with the problem of suffering. It is too personal to be posted on a blog but when it is quiet and we can talk in somewhat subdued tones I will share with you what I discovered about the problem of suffering including the children warriors of the Mai Mai in the Congo, the tens of thousands of children made orphans because of parents who died from AIDS as well as the starving in Darfur.
It is a start but it is somehwat a relief to me...
1 comment:
I hope to hear some of your thoughts on the matter at our lunch on Friday :-)
Post a Comment