Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A family reunion can raise the BP I think


I saw a piece in Monday's Tribune about the deleterious effects of having ambivalent friends. Such friends raise blood pressure and increase the chances of heart disease. This is according to a new study completed jointly at the University of Utah and BYU to be published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine. BP and heart issues are at risk, quote, "In fact... blood pressure and heart rate rises by merely being in the presence of such friends." I have to wonder if this extends to in-laws as I am headed toward a family reunion this weekend. Maybe I will need to take some extra medication. Can I wear garlic around my neck, maybe have a crucifix in my pocket? The study also concluded that when people discuss past negative events with an ambivalent friend, their health suffers. This means for certain any discussion of past uncomfortable events with my in-laws is to be avoided at all costs. I plan on taking along a couple good books though. I am leaning toward secular humanist George Lakoff's "Moral Politics". He has some well thought out insights why R's hate gun control, support the Iraq War, deny the anthropogenic causes of global warming, think the GLTG community threatens mine or anyone else's marriage and believe George W. Bush is a God fearing Christian.

Solamente para mi esposa iré a la reunión, debido a amor. Muchas gracias mi esposa por todas cosas.

No comments: