
A decade ago one of our suppliers paid my way to hunt bears in Alberta Canada. I had no idea what it was about but I went along. I learned two things. First of all, hunting bears is a sick sport. Secondly, I do not like the taste of bear meat.
A friend sent me this article today from the NY Times. It seems that snipers in our military use the same sick methods utilized by Canadian guides in killing bears. This is how it works. You set out bait and wait in a tree stand or other protected area until the bear or Iraqi comes along to take the bait and then you shoot him. There is no warning, just a simple execution. For bears the enticement is a bucket of slop wired to a tree. The bucket has a few holes drilled in it so the the goop can drip out slowly. The bucket is filled on a regular basis for several weeks before the season opens. The bear may come along every day expecting to be fed. For Iraqis it can be weapons or booby trapped artillary rounds placed by our military. Of course only insurgents would try and pick up a 155mm howitzwer round or an abandoned AK rfile.
The moral of the story is if you are an Iraqi never pick up an AK that looks abandoned, neither an artillary round, and if you are a bear trust me, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
I regret I 'engaged' a bear in Canada. Engage is a military euphemism for killing.
1 comment:
that doesn't really seem like hunting at all.
and hunting iraqis? that just makes me ill, honestly. hard to even think about, let alone accept it as a truth.
Post a Comment