Sunday, September 23, 2007

No Republicans allowed!


This is an accurate rendering of the Noyo King. It is a 25’ design by marine architect and boat builder Sam Devlin. I bought the plans more than a year ago and almost gave up the idea of building one but recently my brother moved back to Utah and now lives next door. He is willing to help me construct it. I have about 6 months before I can start laying it out in my garage though. It is constructed largely of marine plywood and hardwoods covered with epoxy and glass fiber. Six months will give me enough time to complete all of the household carpentry projects ordered by the Home Secretary.

I think I can recruit a few more shipwrights to assist and the construction should not take us more than a year. The first cruises will be in Utah. I would like to go to Lake Powell and drive it up to the mouth of Dark Canyon for some camping and hiking. Following successful shake down cruises in Utah we will trailer it to Northern CA where it will be dipped in Salt water at Noyo Harbor. For any landlubbers Noyo Harbor is in Ft. Bragg CA on the Mendocino Coast. That means it is about three and a half hours driving time by car from San Francisco.

Persons with experience in boatbuilding, navigation, piloting, fishing and cooking may apply immediately.

3 comments:

Brigitte Ballard said...

Sign me up! At least for a ride.

Emily said...

What about bards or minstrels? Someone to sing the sea-shanties?

jess said...

i can cook!