Last night we had very mediocre salmon at the Market Street Broiler in SLC. I think I would rather eat fish sticks at McDonalds than pay $120.00 for the food we did not enjoy here. Fish from the school lunch program was as good as what we did not finish last night. It was way overcooked and very salty. Maybe they were experimenting with salmon jerky recipes?
It is nice to look at the photos and I can think about planning the next trip. For the uninitiated this is the village of Mendocino CA. A few Hollywood movies and TV series have been filmed there. In 'Murder She Wrote' it was Cabot Cove Maine. Some days I wish I were in California instead of here for better restaurants and the scenery. The Mendo Cafe among a number of others has very good food whether you are a vegan or an omnivore. I like salmon that is barely cooked, juicy and not overly salted. My Boy Scouts for their Cooking Merit Badge can cook better fish than we experienced last night.
Mendocino is less than an hour drive down the coast on Highway 1 from our house in Westport.
7 comments:
Wish I was there too.
I don't know how my scouts would do (I just started working with the 11 year-old scouts). Crazy how the tables turn.
Congratulations! If you need any gear let me know. I have some experience in this area. Your boys will prosper under your direction.
J had "hot lunch" at school yesterday (he gets school lunch once a week). It was Shrimp poppers. I thought he'd have the pb&j, but he went for the shrimp and liked them.
Perhaps Market Street needs to take a lesson?
When my Mr. worked at a seafood place, he brought home a "made specially for me" parmesan encrusted halibut.
It was really good.
I think Market Street is probably pretty good as far as seafood goes, but nothing can compare to fresh, locally caught fish that we get in CA.
Market Street used to be the best in Salt Lake and we often took out of town guests there. We would not take anyone there based on last night. It is not longer good, even on a local basis. It never did, at its best, compare with what we can get in CA.
allie...my son LOVES the shrimp poppers at school lunch...i never would have guessed that from him!
oops...got off on a tangent there. i love me a nicely cooked salmon. i also like it with the teriyaki miso glaze on it.
i also like tuna.. seared with wasabi sauce. you?
Jess, you might like this entree from the Mendo Cafe:
SESAME ENCRUSTED AHI TUNA: .......... $21
Sushi grade Ahi tuna, pan seared rare with toasted black and white sesame seeds.
Served with Jasmine rice, seasonal vegetables, Wasabi dipping sauce and pickled ginger.
Little guys and big people too like observing the tide
pools at low tide down at the beach.
oh yum. YES i would love that.
and i've only been to tide pools once or twice. i'd love to go again someday. with my kiddos.
Post a Comment