Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter and Noise



Too often in my haste and given the noise of things less important in life I ignore or forget the transcendent and supernal. Gratefully this morning I caught a few bars from the Tabernacle Choir broadcast doing this number from Handel's Messiah. They are not to be found on the web but Robert Shaw will do here. It awakened in me the importance of this day, though I confess I was not impressed when I arrived at the church parking lot to see see sisters from an earlier ward hiding Easter eggs around the back of the building. I hope the children remember something more than getting candy filled eggs.

With the Deacons this morning we read from the 11th chapter of St. John wherein is told the story of Lazarus. What a remarkable event. I asked the the young men if they had seen a dog or cat lying on the road from being run over and how after a short time the remains bulge and putrify. What power, what knowledge God possesses to bring about the restoration of life for Lazarus and for all who have slept. Consider Martha's concern, (the sister of Lazarus), when she warned the Lord, "Lord, by this time he stinketh; for he hath been dead four days."

Jesus encourages Martha to believe, to trust him. The account continues, "And when he thus has spoken he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus. come forth. And he that was dead came forth..."

Earlier, "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live."

May we truly believe Him and Happy Easter to all of my friends and family on this most beautiful of days.

No comments: