Wednesday, March 26, 2008

His Highness the Dalai Lama and the Mormon situation...



Friends and family have read Buddhist and teachings from Dalai Lama over the years. Not with any serious intent I have lightly read from his teachings. In the news presently protesters are drawing attention to the unlawful Chinese occupation of Tibet, aiming toward the Beijing Olympics to lend efforts to free their homeland. Chinese riot police are smashing heads and arresting protesters yet his Highness maintains a calmness and peace not shared by the young and the rebellious of his followers.

Several years ago his Highness gave a speech at ASU and carried on some dialogue with a western physician and psychiatrist on the subject of the purposes of existence and life. The Dalai Lama like Aristotle, Henry James and Joseph Smith teaches that happiness is the purpose of life. In a quirky, from his perspective maybe, and typical western approach to things I down loaded this collaboration between Dr. Howard Cutler MD and his Eminence from ITunes. Discovery should come from meditation on some rock in the shade of a cottonwood tree in Escalante Canyon or in the redwoods near the ocean, not from an IPod, right?

So, here I am, fat, no longer 50, 60 in fact, a true blue warrior and member of the LDS Church, and advocate of same. Yet, I along with others I know close hand suffer from depression, anxiety, anger, jealousy, pride or as RA can tell you just plain bad moods. Is that a condemnation of my faith to suggest my religion has failed me or my ability as a practitioner of it has been less than satisfactory?

In Jos. Smith's letter to John Wentworth he opened the door for his followers to seek after good things and we have confirmation in the 88th section of the D&C to search and to look for truth. Here is the question then, can I read the writings of the Dalai Lama and find as the introduction of the book offers "a deeper and more abiding source of inner peace"?

I would match Gordon B. Hinckley to any Lama whoever lived, the same for Spencer W. Kimball, Neal Maxwell, Henry Eyering, and more. I am not sure others are on that level in the leadership of the LDS Church to the Dalai Lama, but who is to know. I know from history and extensive readings of diaries, histories and journals we have a very glossed over and rosey picture painted for us of our Mormon past, this in terms of leadership, personalities and events.

I am going to carefully listen to, even purchase this book edited by Dr. Cutler, and determine if I can apply and learn a few good things from the experience of 2500 years of Buddhist meditation and teachings of which the Dalai Lama is the living exemplar and practitioner. There are a number of parallels already as I have started listening between the two faiths and yet very stark differences.

You be the judge if I learn anything.

1 comment:

adamf said...

I listened to "The Art of Happiness at Work" with the Dalai Lama and Cutler (mostly Cutler). It was pretty good. I don't know much about past Lamas, but I would personally put the current one in the same category as a Neal Maxwell, etc. They speak from different pulpits, but both have a lot to teach and a powerful, loving presence (from listening to the Lama's words, anyway).

My limited study of Buddhism has been expansive and enlightening (no pun intended). Good luck!