The Girls are to end their existence this afternoon. Being the coward I am I cannot participate. I fed them some nice grape leaves from Margaret's vines this morning. I had RA fill their water container and food dispenser too.
No longer will they queue up to the fence or come hopping out of their house when they hear my voice. No longer will I hear their contented clucking sounds. Who ever thought chickens could become such friends?
In memory of the Girls, a piece from Mozart's Requiem:
"Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Can't participate in the dispatch, or can't participate in the grilling and stewing? You can have some friends for dinner.
eww
Eddie took no pleasure in the "dispatch", but you do what you have to do.
He vocally thanked each chicken for providing food before killing it.
I'm sorry you got so attached to them. I think it would be harder for me if we didn't have new chickens to take their place. (Although one of the new ones is no longer, since it woke us and the neighbors up at 5:15 this morning crowing)
It is funny how you can get attached to chickens. They must be about the dumbest creatures on the farm. But, they knew my voice and we had a rapport back and forth. I fed them the grape leaves and they would cluck or whatever their chicken speak was. There was definitely something between us. I miss them while we are out and working on the boat which we were doing tonight. Don't hear those contented clucking noises telling me they were happy.
You know, when they would be in their house in the mornings and I would address them as "Ladies!", they would come hopping down the ramp and expect some treat from me which I would have.
I am sorry to be going on and do not mean to add to your feelings, because I know it was hard for all of you, but I do miss the girls!
Post a Comment