
I road the tadpole one hour up Branscomb Road this afternoon. RA road on Highway 1 and went one mile east of Hardy Creek on her tadpole. It has been hard to find time to ride with so much to do here and so little time. We did get the siding up on the west wall of the pump house earlier and some other carpentry work under the roof and shingles. The siding is pretty good stuff. K&A were talking about putting it on their new house. It is called Hardy Board and is termite resistant and fireproof. I think we can get the rest of the siding up tomorrow, and the back side as well.
Two things I discovered riding an hour up Branscomb Road is the calorie counter on the GPS enabled computer does not accurately tally the energy expended going slow and hill climbing. After an hour of very serious riding I burned up only 650 calories. Likely, the algorithm in the computer is based on speed and not resistance. Secondly, when you need to stop or I would normally get off and walk, on something like this 10% grade, you just set the park brake and relax and take a breather. You do not have to get off and walk.
Coming down was fun, I stayed up with a small pick up truck going around the corners as the bike handles very well.
2 comments:
You and RA are doing some fabulous riding! And you conquered Cantelow!
Great to get to see your progress first-hand. Congrats to both of you!
Is your GPS picking up your heart rate to count the calories? If you're working really hard, your body can get out of it's aerobic state where you are burning lots and go to it's anaerobic state -- they are both useful in terms of your strength and fitness, but in the latter, you don't burn as much and it's not someplace you want to stay too terribly long.
Great riding this weekend!
Cantelow has been a bad dream for me after two failed prior attempts. I am very happy it will not haunt me any longer.
My biggest concern for the present is recovery time. An orthopod told me a couple years ago after examining my level 2 tear of the ACL that if I were 18 I would be recovered in 3 months but as old as I am it would be 12 months. Alas, I have no control over that but am planning on back to back metric centuries next week. This week we are getting the storm you are having tonight and more.
Thanks H for the encouragement, great tamales, hospitality, and the great work you and associates are doing with the NCAC!
Post a Comment