
Just returned home by truck from the 'Redwood office' on the North Coast. For speed in travel we drove through a couple fast food joints coming and going, but after driving 6 hours from Reno we decided to seek food served on a plate and at a table. I recommended we go to the buffet at the Rainbow Hotel and Casino in Wendover. The food did not disappoint, neither the attentive care of the near 100% Hispanic staff in the restaurant. RA could not focus on the food as her attention was drawn to the mirrored celings, the neon lights, the gaming and the number of seniors that seemed to be there spending their kid's inheritances. Personally I found the shrimp to be plentiful, the fruit fresh and sweet, the prime rib thick and the vegetables not overcooked like I used to get at a school cafeteria growing up. I confess though I always liked those plump overcooked green beans that came out of government supplied number 10 cans.
RA said if she had a blog she would write about our experience at the Rainbow in Wendover. I offered encouragement to her to do so. She may have wanted to disclose that I played the dollar slots and won 10 big ones. That helped subsidize our buffet which was not cheap. How much is ten big ones, you ask-- $10.00, maybe $1,000.00...? Actually it was ten cents. I played a single dollar bill and won $1.10. I got some sort of bar coded credit slip that you have to feed into another machine to get your cash back. I did so and out came a dollar bill and two nickels, 10 big ones, ten cents that is. Content with winning and getting ahead of the casino and not subsidizing this immoral activity any further we passed on out of the casino to the parking lot.
I would expect I have misinterpeted RA's comments and intentions to some degree and therefore await her comments to more correctly describe our stop and the whole experience. She should tell us in her own words about the stop at the Rainbow, including the decor. I looked for a nice graphic to put with this post but could only find an image of an old slot machine. I also found this post by someone from West Vallley City reviewing the Rainbow for a travel service. They had less than a rewarding experience. Some real sour fruit here: "May 14, 2004, my husbond and I have been to the rainbow a couple of times with in the last year, and don't plan to go back. The slots are way to tight we put $1000 in their slots and didn't get nothing I mean nothing.." Given that prospect of getting "nothing, I mean nothing" we did good to come away a dime ahead. The Rainbow aint got nothin on us, we were too smart to be tricked by those mirrored celings, neon lights and the gaming atmosphere there. Not tempted to pour any more money into the slots, besides I miss those handles you used to be able to pull. What ever happened to the 'one arm bandits'?
We also averaged 17+ mpg for the Dodge and used several tanks of bio diesel on the trip. Biodiesel is the 'fuel of peace' proclaimed one bumper sticker which we received as we signed up to become members of the biodiesel club in Laytonville CA. The nice lady who pumped our 95% biodiesel managed to keep a straight face as she explained that her work was entirelly altruistic in providing this "community service" at $3.85 per gallon. The bio is entirely from reclaimed cooking oil. I guess those fast food joints must be selling their old oil for more than the sheiks, mullahs, and princes of the middle east at sixty bucks a barrel. Somebody is making some sweet moolah at those prices. We felt good though as our tank was filled with this free range, organic, fuel of peace. I still harbor feelings of hostility toward some Republicans. Will that ever change?
No comments:
Post a Comment