Monday, March 15, 2010

"If you're 62 it is one dollar..."



Some warmer temperatures today prompted me to try and get in a metric century in preparation for the Winters Nor Cal Aids Challenge Ride on Saturday. A late start limited me to 50 miles. I headed toward Antelope Island and I made it to the park entrance a little shy of 25 for the one way journey. The nice lady ranger said it would be $3.00 to ride a couple miles out on the causeway. "Yes," I said, "but I am not going to the island. I just need to get my 50 miles in today." "How old are you?" she asked. "If you are 62 or older then it is just one dollar." I paid her the dollar bill and rode out about 2 1/2 more miles. I have not ridden that far on the recumbent for a couple years. By the time I got back to Centerville it was getting dark, but my 50 miles were done. The ride was worth 3800 calories according to the Garmin Bike GPS and computer and I averaged 13.3 mph into northwest headwinds all the way out. Coming back they began to subside as the sun was setting so I did not get a lot of assistance from a tail wind. It seems to happen that way in the afternoons and evenings. Tomorrow the boy scouts and I will ride the first 10 mile installment for the Cycling Merit badge.

The frogs and toads were out in greater numbers than I have ever heard them along the Legacy Park Trail. It really is astonishing how many there are and what a cacophony of sounds they can make in the marshes along the trail.

1 comment:

limes said...

Nice post! Conveys the nuances of your experience in a very compelling and pleasing way. :-)