
There are so many ads for various chronic and acute medical conditions on TV lately by the drug manufacturers. You need a Merck Manual to look them all up. Most of the time you have no clue what the malady or ailment is either. I have discovered in my preparations for the NCAC 330 mile ride in May that I have a medical condition. It is called ABS. It afflicts new riders, especially recumbent bike riders. Because I have been sitting in my executive's chair for so long at work and the recliner at home I have what is called Atrophied Butt Syndrome. The glutes and the hamstrings have atrophied from no exercise for too many years.
On a positive note there was a noticeable improvement by putting new pedals on the Catrike that allow me to clip in to a pair of biking shoes I used to wear in riding the Stout. My mentor Em recommended I do this on the RANS recumbent. It does make a difference. It is less effort and easier to spin when you are pulling as well as pushing. That will be an important part of the two month's training by developing a better spin and cadence. Maybe the ABS will go away in time. This article said it would take 8 to 12 weeks of intense exercise to overcome the condition.
3 comments:
I've noticed that the medication for ABS makes me sleepy and causes some muscle stiffness, but the dosage I took on Sunday was pretty high...
It sounds like the Catrike was a good move! And unlike the rest of us, you don't have to worry about falling over if you don't unclip from your pedals before you stop - lucky!
Excellent work at the training and training smart!
Sounds like you're making great progress. Looking forward to checking out the new wheels later this month!
Thanks, I rode an hour this AM before a snow storm arrives today and the valley is to be blanketed by 4" of snow. Nasty headwinds but smooth sailing on the way back.
The next ride will be on the trainer in the garage until it clears up again.
Thursday through Saturday is backpacking with the boy scouts in Mule Canyon. Lots of Anasazi ruins.
Post a Comment